Obstacles to Meditation
1. Nothing can arouse desire more than a thing of beauty. If you fixate on such a thing without wisdom, your desire will only grow.
2. Nothing can arouse hatred more than an ugly thing. If you fixate on such a thing without wisdom, your hatred will only grow.
3. Nothing can arouse laziness more than depression, yawning, a big meal, or a listless mind. If you allow your mind to drift, your laziness will only grow.
4. Nothing can arouse anxiety more than a mind without peace. If you allow your mind to think without calm, your anxiety will only grow.
5. Nothing can arouse doubt more than paying attention to the wrong things. If you allow your mind to fixate on the wrong things, your doubts will only grow.
Tips to Overcome Them
1. The best way to overcome desire is to focus your attention on something ugly rather than the object of your desire. If you can move your attention to an ugly object and observe it with wisdom, you will free yourself from desire.
2. The best way to overcome hatred is to doing loving-kindness meditation. Metta meditation will free your mind from hatred.
3. The best way to overcome laziness is with intense effort. Will yourself to achieve your goals, and you will free your mind from laziness.
4. The best way to overcome anxiety is to practice calming your mind. Calming the mind will give you peace.
5. The best way to overcome doubt is through wise attention. Knowing where to focus your attention will give you great confidence and free your mind from doubt.
-Nīvaraṇappahāna Vagga AN 1.11-20 (A i 3)